Lr: Calibrate WB Between Cameras?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,212
Lr: Calibrate WB Between Cameras?

I've been using Lightroom for years now - literally since the beginning, and one thing has always bothered me, right from the start...

I usually have to correct images of the same even (wedding) from two different cameras, and the white balance is never the same. I don't mean that the they are set or shot differently; I mean that an almost exact same shot from two different cameras with the same lens, all settings matching - including white balance, will have very different color. It used to be very bad from the 5DIII to the 5DIV, and now it's just as bad with the A7III to the A9. Here's an example:

Shot right now. A9 on the left, A7III on the right. Exact same settings and lens, both set to Daylight WB (5500k, +10 tint) in Lightroom. My A9 is always warmer than my A7III at any given kelvin.

I've been aware of this for years, but have never found a solution for the differences in white balance. I've tried making my own profiles with the Colorchecker, but that doesn't affect white balance. One would think that it would be a bit more precise at any given kelvin. It just seems odd that there's no way to calibrate or adjust the white balance profile for each camera if there's going to be a difference.

Has anyone else ever found a solution?

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow