Re: "Unsupported Library" cannot open my photos stored on an external drive

Mike Boreham wrote:

Mike Boreham wrote:

RSSrsvp wrote:

Mike Boreham wrote:

RSSrsvp wrote:

RSSrsvp wrote:

terrydev wrote:

The problem here is that your Photos library was upgraded to a v5 library when you went to Catalina. Photos on Mojave is a v4 and the earlier app can't ope the later libraries structure.

I'm sure you had a back up before upgrading from HS, so simply replace the Photos library with the back up and upgrade to v4.

Thanks, I am following your recommendation and replacing the Photos library from the last Time Machine backup done before I upgraded to Catalina right now. I am crossing my fingers that it works.

Update: it was not successful. This is the message I am seeing when attempting to open up the Photos app that I just replaced.

Is that a typo...that you replaced the “Photos app”....you need to restore the Photos library from your TM backup, not the app.

Sorry, I meant Photos Library, not the app.

As I understand it you were on High Sierra, Then you upgraded To Catalina. Then you rolled back to High Sierra, then you upgraded to Mojave.

So the TM version you have is a High Sierra? and it sounds like you are restoring it to Mojave? This should be OK, it should just upgrade the library to be compatible with Mojave.

I have not seen that message before and I have successfully restored a complete Photos Library from Time Machine three times, but always to the same macOS.

One thing you could try is repairing the restored Library by opening it while holding down the cmd+opt keys.

I agree with the suggestion to save a copy of the unsupported library somewhere safe while you experiment.

Another thought....How did you restore from Time Machine? Did you use the Time Machine interface, initiated by launching the Time Machine app?

Or did you do it with Finder from the TM drive? I ask because I found a thread where the same message occurred because the person restored from TM with Finder. (I didn't read the whole thing but it seems worth asking you how you restored from TM). That thread includes a good explanation why you cant restore from TM using Finder.

What size is your restored from Time Machine Library ? should be close to 166GB?

Another thing to make sure of is to go back far enough to make sure that you're really restoring a version that was captured under High Sierra and not Catalina.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow