My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,416
Re: Godox X2T remote transmitter emits AF assist beam!

Alexis wrote:

Thanks for trying Casey. For sure Houston we do have a problem and the M50 will NOT be going to the wedding; instead, his older brother the 5Diii will be going instead - that is a great shame!

Here is a video that explains the problem and the Godox-based solution albeit on a Sony mirrorless and not a Canon... oh well. I'm sure it is a software based issue (to allow external units to fire their AF assist lights) and fixable in a future firmware release... Canon I know you are following Casey so act now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4pxNF4BNs

regards

Alexis

I should point out that although the Godox X2T transmitter does emit an AF assist beam on the 90D body hotshoe (but not the M50), I question the usability of this. The red snowflake pattern might *possibly* only work within a relatively short distance because the red pattern doesn't seem overly bright compared to say my old Nikon 80/800 speedlights. The Nikon speedlights emitted a pretty strong red patterned beam of light onto the people on the dark dance floor (if my memory serves me). The AF light coming out of the X2T transmitter doesn't seem anywhere near the strength of a Nikon speedlight. I'm sure it would work within a few feet or so maybe. I really don't know, since it's untested and I don't have any weddings to photograph. I am purely speculating based on what I can tell from the transmitter, although it's an educated guess not a blind guess. In my opinion, I would not rely on the AF assist beam coming out of the X2T transmitter if that's your only method of focusing in the dark for a paid shoot. The AF assist beam coming out of my Godox TT685c flash (on my 90D body) is the better bet.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
kli
kli
MAC
MAC
MAC
kli
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow