Critique My Photo

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,481
Re: Critique My Photo

Messi10ninja wrote:

Hello,

I shot the photo on my dad's old camera. The lens is a AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3,5 - 5,6. I didn't use a filter, as I just started with photography. I'll try out your tips tommorow in better light.

Thanks a lot

I believe you did an excellent job considering the circumstances you were shooting under. Low light. You have a good camera, and a good walk around lens that is very slow....or dark

I had this lens and used it on my D80 and D300S....Somehow it worked better on the D300S...

Frankly I thought my lens was "Jack of all trades. Master of none." I used it for several years, only because I couldn't afford a replacement lens.

Consider your ISO and shutter speed when shooting. Here your shutter speed is 1/20 second. I think that's too low.

When you're shooting make sure that you have VR turned on. That's vibration reduction. There's a switch on the lens.

The old rule of thumb was 1/(focal length of the lens) or approximately 1/250 second here.  If you increased the ISO a lot, you might have made the image even grainier.

This lens's strength is that it's a good walk around lens. You can go out with one lens and take photos of many subjects.  It's a compromise; sometimes compromise is a good thing.

If you're considering a longer lens I've had great success using another slow lens, my 70-300VR.  It's results are magical considering its cost. I ended up replacing my 18-200VR with a shorter zoom that performs well. I get better images with this combination than I did with my 18-200VR.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Hazeltown

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow