What Fuji camera to purchase with best JPEG?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726
Re: What Fuji camera to purchase with best JPEG?

saltydogstudios wrote:

Magic777 wrote:

Using both FX and DX Nikon cameras for last 15 years, I would like to add a Fuji system.

Good choice - I made the same transition and I'm happy.

I am shooting RAW+JPEG.

With all my Nikon cameras ability to fine tune the images inside the camera and by using different Picture Controls etc, I still not able to get JPEGs which will be good enough (al least for my taste). Still need to proceed RAW files to get intended results.

Hmm. I always enjoyed Nikon's JPG output. And the small file sizes I can get too without any serious loss in quality.

Due some reasons I can't spend a hours against computer monitor and proceed my RAW files so I need to get a best JPEG imaged straight from the camera with no post-processing (or with as less as possible).

After reading some reviews and opinions on the forums I see that many people highly valuated Fuji cameras exactly for good quality JPEG photos.

So my question- what is the best Fuji body/lens to get good IQ photos straight from the camera?

You asked two questions - let's address them both.

Which Fuji offers the best SOOC JPGs?

Fuji has 3 generations of sensor near as I can tell. The 16 megapixel X-Trans, the 24 megapixel X-Trans and the 26 megapixel X-Trans. They have some Bayers in there as well.

Find the 16 megapixel generation to have a ... less punchy and saturated output, which I prefer depending on the situation. The 16 megapixel generation is very Nikon-esque and reminds me of the Nikon D7000 (but sharper because of the lack of AA filter).

Which Fuji offers the best JPG controls?

I can't speak to every camera model, but they generally give you the ability to control (for a given color mode)

• Highlight
  • Shadow
  • Color
  • Sharpness

From -2 to +2

The 24 megapixel sensor gives you the ability to re-process RAW files in camera, which is incredibly useful.

Are you suggesting that this capability isn't present in all X-cameras?  I was doing it with my X-E1, which was 16 megapixels.

You can process a single RAW file to a number of different settings, bring them into your computer to compare.

Then you can keep those settings forever.

I suppose you could do that just by taking the same photo with every different setting you want, but it really depends on your subject. Landscapes? Sure. Humans? You would test their patience.

Photography is my serious hobby and I intend to buy different Fuji lenses as well.

I am shooting a lot during travels (means landscapes and street photography) and some events.

Not interested in video.

Low weight and small size of camera are secondary. Most important is IQ of JPEG files SOOC.

User's practical recommendations will be highly appreciated.

PS. I put same question on the Forum "Camera...buying Advice" and got recommendation to ask directly on the Fuji X-System Forum

The more modern the camera, the more options you get. The 24 megapixel generation adds faux grain for example. Each generation adds a new film simulation mode (or two).

So I would go for the most recent (26 megapixel) generation for maximum control. I actually quite like the look of Classic Negative - it's the film sim I'd been waiting for since they first launched film simulations.

A non-Fuji option, the Olmypus Pen-F has the most control over colors of any camera on the market (that I know of). They give you a color wheel where you can dial in the saturation of any of a dozen individual tones.

The one thing holding this back from being perfect for dialing in just about any color tone you want is that you can't also shift the tones (moving blues more towards cyan for example).

But that's a whole other lens ecosystem & the Pen-F isn't weather sealed etc.

-- hide signature --

"Wait let me comb my hair and put on a tie."
It Gets Nerdy: https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow