Critique My Photo

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264
Re: Critique My Photo

Dark grainy images rarely prove popular, they are both easy to criticise and people buy into the hype that both are unacceptable.

Personally, I don't mind either. I see these as qualities that have to be assessed relative to the content of an image. They bring atmosphere, mood and intrigue, they break away from the golden hour and tell us more about the environment. They add expression to an image rather than the usual boring sugar coated utopian dreams that leave me yawning.

But the edge to edge sharpness is lacking in your shot... and it does have a feeling of being pushed in pp. I suspect the original exposure was too low. I'd say it need just enough exposure to show the final glow of light on the mountain tops.

One of the advantages of the current dark look is the distracting pole in the centre bottom of the shot is barely noticeable. If you do brighten it up, then more elements in the composition will become active features - the basic principle of composition is to eliminate the bad features and optimise good ones.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow