Best a6600 Video Lenses

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CameraCB New Member • Posts: 6
Best a6600 Video Lenses

As someone completely new to the world of cameras I am in need of a little guidance when it comes to lens selection. I ordered the new a6600 and it’s scheduled to ship out to me on Nov. 29th. In the short term I’m mostly interested in creating interview style videos indoors but eventually would also like to use the camera for family and vacation photos and videos (around 80% video use and 20% photography use). I have been reading this forum and watching lens review videos for the past few days and have narrowed my possible first lens selection to 3 options... the Sony 10-18 f4, Sigma 16 f1.4, or the new Sony 16-55 f2.8.

Sony 10-18 f4: This one is relatively expensive at $900 and is only f4 which may be a problem since I hope to shoot some videos at night or in areas where I may not be able to add lighting.

Sigma 16 f1.4: This is the one I’m currently leaning towards. All of the reviews seem to rave about the sharpness and low light capabilities. It is also pretty cheap at $400 and I would be able to get a gimbal like the new weebill-s (although most of my videos will be on a tripod, it would be nice to have for family videos).

Sony 16-55 f2.8: This one seems to be the big unknown, expensive at $1400, and least tested since many people are still waiting for the a6600. All of the videos on the new a6600 seem to be on this lens and appear pretty sharp.

My main question is whether or not there is any difference in interview style video quality (subject is a few feet away, indoors, lighting is controlled, and camera is on a tripod) between the Sony 16-55 f2.8 and the Sigma 16 f1.4? Ideally I would buy the Sigma 16 now to shoot the interview style videos and eventually get the Sony 16-55 in a year or so down the road for more photography and vacation videography. However, if the Sony 16-55 is sharper or significantly better for video when paired with the new a6600 I would probably just suck it up and buy that option now.

Any advice between these lens options for the a6600 for video would be highly appreciated. I am looking to make a final decision by the end of this week.

Many thanks,

Chris

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow