Thoughts on Sigma 60-600 for D7200?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Satyaa Senior Member • Posts: 3,711
Thoughts on Sigma 60-600 for D7200?

Hi. I am looking for your thoughts and any experience with Sigma 60-600 S, specifically for wildlife and outdoor sports in daylight.

Background:

I photograph for hobby. I use a D7200 and D810.

For photographing birds in the backyard, the older 70-300 VR does OK job. It doesn't have a problem that's a deal-breaker but isn't great at anything either. In fact, the 70-200/2.8 on D7200 does a much better job at everything.

I have been waiting to buy a long tele for wildlife use in the outdoors. I might get one during this holiday season if I find a good deal or may be later.

I am leaning towards this new Sigma 60-600 for several reasons. I have seen some online reviews and they all praise the lens. I read that it is soft below 100mm wide open but this lens will be used mostly between 200 and 600mm. Sigma's "S" series is a bit more rugged than the "C" series. USB dock allows AF fine-tuning at different focal lengths. My D7200 will last few years (at least) and this lens may stay on this body for that period! I also like that it starts at 60mm and I could use it on D810 in situations when wider coverage is more important than the tele end. That way, it is more useful than the 150-600mm lenses.

My only hesitation is the zoom direction. I had the Sigma 18-300 for a few days and the zoom direction bothered me to a point where I returned it within a week. Of course, its OS was bad towards the long end too. I also have Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art for my D7200 and its zoom is like other Nikon lenses.

Can you share your feedback and experience with this lens? How is the general usability, reliability, IQ, AF speed, etc.? I would like to hear about its use on both FX and DX bodies.

Can you also tell me at what focal length it drops to f/6.3?

I also hesitate sometimes looking at Nikon 200-500/f5.6. It is a very good lens and competitively priced. The only thing I don't like about it is that it starts at 200mm. Something closer to 100mm would have been a winner for me, especially for sports.

If money was not a limiting factor, I would have bought the 180-400/F4

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I thought that blocking a user was rude but I have recently found that it is becoming a necessity. If I am not responding to some users/posts, now you know why...

Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
Nikon D7200 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow