Canon 5d Mark III - consistent dark shadow filling much of the picture

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jabropdx New Member • Posts: 5
Canon 5d Mark III - consistent dark shadow filling much of the picture

I recently sold my 5d Mark III on Ebay. The camera had about 11,000 clicks and no issues, of any kind, ever, over five years. The day it arrived with the buyer, he let me know that a dark shadow was filling the bottom of every image. At first I was skeptical (I assumed user error - nothing seemed suspicious), but I spoke with him on the phone and we tried multiple lenses, memory cards, etc. No flash was being used, no lens hood - we went through every idea he had.

So he sent it back to me, and now I'm seeing the issue with the bottom always dark. I'm attaching a few pictures. It always looks like this. (The smaller TV shadow that covers the left part of the first two pictures is a real shadow - sorry about that)

1. What is going on? Something to do with the shutter/mirror?

2. Is this likely from shipping the camera? So strange and if the buyer hadn't seemed very earnest and conscientious, I'd be suspicious.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow