canon 6d focus issues and canon repair

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mully4235 Junior Member • Posts: 42
canon 6d focus issues and canon repair

There's a really weird thing going on with my 6d. The focus is way off. I've had slight focus issues since I first bought it, but it has gotten worse through the years. In landscape/horizontal orientation the left third of the photo is not in focus, even when subjects are on the same plane. In portrait/vertical orientation the top third of the photo is out of focus and the lower part is mostly in focus. On every photo. Except for very up close headshots, those are fine. Photos taken from any distance other than up close ore all out of focus. The focus point has been checked by using digital photo professional and by another program. Where I place the focus point when I take a photo is not where the camera is focusing on. It doesn't matter what aperture I use, every photo is out of focus. I've tried doing the micro adjustments in camera with no success. Doesn't seem to make a difference, gets closer at the +20 but it is still very off. I tried other lenses with likewise results, not one picture in focus. I am not a pro, but have been using dslr's for over 12 years so it's not like I don't know how to focus. I focus on an eye and the eye/head/face ends up being out of focus, but the feet are usually ok. Even turning the camera the other way vertically makes no difference, still not focused correctly. I have tried manual focus, auto, live view, everything. Nothing gets me a picture in focus where I want it.

So, I sent the camera and two lenses to canon repair.  They want almost $800 to "fix" all three.  Of course, they haven't even looked at them to even see what's wrong with it.  I can't afford that.  What if they "fix" it and it's still not fixed?  That cost doesn't even include calibrating.  Has anyone else had a problem like this with their camera or lenses?  I'm not quite sure what to do.  Do I just have the camera fixed and not the lenses and hope it actually fixes the problem?

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow