40 Days later... (EOS M6 Mark II)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,442
40 Days later... (EOS M6 Mark II)

Since the last time I was here...

After shooting with the M6 Mark II for more than a month, a couple thoughts in no order:

1. Unlike my former PowerShot G1X Mark III, where I recommend turning continuous AF off (on by default), I get higher accuracy and responsiveness both using BBF, and half-shutter AF methods, with it on. I now recommend unless you're using a larger adapted EF lens with a power hungry USM motor and/or IS motor (say EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L or other "monster lens") to leave it on. I have a "favorites" menu setup with a variety of options in it, including continuous AF and have C2 and C1 assigned to Fv with both having continuous AF on, the difference between C1 and C2 being BBF or not but both have continuous AF on. In the same vein, I do see a higher rate of AF errors with continuous AF off, and, heavy-handed half-shutter AF method then vs BBF technique, with continuous AF off. This mirrors my first impressions.

2. The EOS M6 Mark II is easily more capable than the EOS M50 before it in term of AF after shooting with it for some time. No surprise. It's also the most capable Canon in terms of AF I've shot to date in fact when paired with say a fast EF 70-300 IS II USM (nano-USM) where it's the only camera to pass the "swing test" where I shoot my kids on a swing set moving very fast back and forth. This includes my former 5D Mark III and 7D that I've borrowed a few times, it trumps both in my book in terms of speed and hit-rate.

3. UHS-II benefits are definitely there, but, they vary depending as to whether you shoot C-RAW or not, and how complex the scene you're shooting forms (the size of your RAW/CRAWs). Benefits range from 11%-50% in terms of number of additional frames captured before buffer fill condition reached vs using a fast UHS-I card. YMMV.

4. I have not seen the thermal throttling from UHS-II again, but then again the weather has been much colder lately. I did see some evidence early on there may be thermal throttling cancelling the UHS-II benefits when leaving the (black) camera in the sun for extended periods with higher ambient temps. You'd think these two aren't connected and that heat would impact all functions rather than just the data rate written to the card, but I think they might be (shooting performance and ambient temperature of the camera). Jury is still out to lunch on this one though. Need some hot weather again to confirm / deny this but it's still suspect.

5. I have decided 4K/30 is better than 1080/60. One would think that's a duh, it's not. 1080/60 is still more FPS making for smoother footage and the 1080 on both the M50 and M6 Mark II are so much better than the 1080 footage on former EOS M's due to the bitrate allowed impacting the quality of the footage, albeit making larger (file size) footage though. The added resolution does appear to outweigh the benefits of the more smooth 60FPS that 1080 provides. Also, rolling shutter is completely mute in "4K".

6. In that vein, I highly recommend customizing the main dial (for video mode) to allow Digital IS (as you can quickly adjust between strength of IS which also you can quickly preview the crop applied which is slick with the turn of a dial), AWB and picture style. This is REALLY nice to have quick access to crop / IS strength and AWB adjustments, quickly (turn a dial for either to preview an effect). I do wish AWB-W was available from this method, it's not though (assigning to the dial, you can still use a menu, even from the touchscreen though)

7. Low light / ISO performance is impressive. Both the low-light autofocus and IQ retained at lower light / higher ISOs does bring back the EOS M vs EOS R discussion in my book. It's enough to reconsider do you really need full frame? The gap between the two (M and R) is now even smaller. It is still large enough that in say shooting fire-side during a campfire at night (pitch black) where you're pushing ISO 12800 @ f/2 (or faster) or special events where shallow DoF still means the FF is supreme, but, say indoor lighting where you're pushing ISO3200-6400 with a reasonable shutter and say f/2 or better is now largely a non-issue when shooting with even the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM which I have been the past month or so exclusively for low light.

8. The total IQ "package" of the M6 Mark II between the added resolution, DR, ISO performance, metering, AWB accuracy, CFA and I've heard (but can't confirm) tonal curve tweaks makes the EOS M6 Mark II finally crossing into FF territory even with the kit 18-150 zoom and 22mm prime combo I've been using this past month. You don't need a 32mm or Sigma prime to see the IQ benefits. More resolution and ISO performance is more resolution and ISO performance. Roger C did a good write up recently on his blog on resolution vs glass and uniformity between even different copies of glass. He nailed it on the head in some cases you're better to spend your money on glass, vs a super-resolution camera (he was referencing the A7RIV but you can insert M6 Mark II into the argument, it's the same argument), but, it's still a A x B = Total IQ equation with A being Sensor Resolution and B being lens resolution. More of the former, even on a kit lens, is still more total IQ.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/10/more-ultra-high-resolution-mtf-experiments/

I've been quite impressed with the output of the M6 Mark II to date as well (compilation I have presently / will be updating still):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130836605@N07/albums/72157711104791982

Okay, not M6 Mark II related... But I found the break from the DPR forum, and website itself very refreshing, even though at first I hated it. I'm going to be much lighter-handed with my presence here going forward. I recommend the break for those like myself that are hard hitters here. It's good. Oh and we cry about resolution and optics, but I found it's the little things like a new prescription for your glasses, make a BIG difference with viewing your iPhone, MacBook, editing your photos, taking your photos and night driving. Costco btw has great pricing on glasses I made it a point to really get the most out of this prescription and spent more time with the optometrist this round to squeeze every last drop out of my prescription and the mm here and degree there, make a pretty big difference. Getting a second opinion on your prescription glasses isn't a bad idea either as the tech, which I brought my prescription to at Costco, checked my PD and found my normal optometrist was off by 1.5mm... Granted within the 2mm tolerance for standard, but, getting it closer, means less distortion. We all like better optics, be it lenses or glasses...

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Samyang 21mm F1.4 +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow