FZ1000 mk 1vs G90/95 +14-140 finally a definitive try out

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jonno35 Regular Member • Posts: 396
FZ1000 mk 1vs G90/95 +14-140 finally a definitive try out

Hi, this is for anyone who like me has considered going from the Fz1000 up to M4/3rds. I have recently been lucky enough to try out a G90 + 14-140 outfit against my old FZ1000.

I would like to get a new camera as I'm a camera aholick but after taking various shots at different FLs and iso's I've come to the conclusion that there isn't enough gain for me to change. I found looking at my shots at 100% and  more, there was a very very slight nod towards the G90 but not in sharpness just slight contrast improvement. I set both cameras to their basic Standard profiles with all set to 0, WB Auto ISO 200 ,1600,3200 All shots were taken at the widest apertures, no stopping down. Strangely and unexpected the FZ1000 was warmer and matched the G90 in slow shutter speed holding. The G90 was barely 1 stop better noise wise but the FZ1000 allowed me to use a slower shutter speed if I'd wanted to as the lens was 1 stop faster , so the 1 stop advantage was lost.

I matched both cameras focal lengths so there was no advantage to the FZ. As a matter of interest I also tried the PL 12-60 F2.8 -F4, and was surprised to find I prefered the shots from the 14-140. So to sum up, I would gain a very slight advantage in contrast, nothing in low light, nothing in sharpness. I would lose over 25% of my reach, also the FZ gives a wider shot at 25mm than the G90 at 28mm it doesn't sound much but it is. The G90 is 4x3 the FZ is 3x2 I prefer 3x2. So I reckon I will go for the FZ1000 mk2 for my next camera, I must say the 14-140 is a nice lens better than expected. Both cameras will have copy differences, so please accept my findings as purely my opinion and findings ,yours may be different and perhaps if both cameras had been tweeked to get their best results a different conclusion may have been made but I haven't the time to do all that as I don't own a camera shop. I hope this will be of use to someone ,I expect some will disagree but these are my amateur findings.Dedicated primes would have changed it but I've been there done that.

jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow