Happy with G9 for travel

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
srock Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Happy with G9 for travel

Now that I am retired, I have more time for travel and street photography.

Previously I would take my Pentax K3 , a lens or 2 and a Lumix superzoom fz200 as backup. Invariably, I left the Pentax in the room and carried the FZ200 all day (light, 28-600mm equiv at f2.8 constant). It provided some very nice shots in daylight but as soon as the light dimmed, I was out of luck.

This trip I brought my G9 with 14-140mm lens as my only lens and was delighted.  Light , fast focusing, and the 14-140 gave reasonable reach ( I would love a bit more reach, but I always want more...)

I am very happy with my results so far after 2 weeks in Israel. My keeper rate seems quite high.

Am now planning a trip to South America (cruise) and will add my 100-400 for birds, and perhaps either my 8-18 or 12-60. So far don't regret even a little moving APS-c to m43.

I do suspect sensor and body technology in the next couple of years to make my choice even better ( bodies come and go - lenses are forever).

Bought a GX85 as backup- A lot of power in a very compact package

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow