Matting question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
barbara j Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Matting question

BrokenPhotography wrote:

Matting an image within a frame, highlights the image by not allowing the image to come in contact with the frame. If you're going to "print" an image then matting and framing would be suggested. yet if you're going to have the print placed on canvas, the matting board would not lay flat on the canvas and would detract form the image.

Matting sizes can vary, but as a rule the image should be sized based on the distance you were from when you originally took the picture. In other words the size of the print should be conformable for viewing at or able 5 - 6 feet away without eye strain. The actually size of the mat materiel should be 3-5 inches wide and in a neutral or comparable color base on the image format. I typically select a flat mat materiel for framing as shown below.

Matted & Framed Print

This style of framing always looks good. Especially in a showing. I use this in a very dark brown wood for some of my color work and infrared.

barbara j's gear list:barbara j's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow