Getting to know the MPE-65

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 6,538
Getting to know the MPE-65

I recently purchased a second hand Canon MPE-65 as a potential addition to my photographic toolkit. I have it in mind mainly for small subjects like springtails and barkflies, but I have not found any of those yet. In the meantime I have started familiarising myself with the lens, practising mainly on larger, easier subjects, and experimenting with flash setups, apertures, shutter speeds etc. I have also been experimenting  with post processing products and techniques; this has as much to do with with them being A7ii images as their being MPE-65 images, as I don't yet have much experience of handling A7ii raw files.

I thought I would post a few of the (to my eye) more passable images from these early experiments with the lens. The first four used a hot shoe-mounted Venus Optics KX800 twin flash with long bendy arms. The last three used a lens-mounted Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash. Both flashes used simple early version diffusers with two separated layers of expanded polystyrene, with mixed results.

#1 Paperweight

#2 London Pride

#3 Lichen on a garden seat that has been out in the open for some years.

#4  As they often do, this crane fly stayed in place for a long time while I practised photographing it, apparently unconcerned about all the activity so near to it.

#5  On the other hand, in the short time it was visible this ant was in constant motion, so I had to try to photograph it on the run. Lots of failures. (The slow shutter speed and high ISO were a hangover from a previous scene where I had been trying to raise the background and then forgot to reset the shutter speed and ISO.)

#6 Another crane fly that helpfully stayed still for a good long time while I experimented.

#7 The same crane fly closer in.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow