Exchange Sony A7R IV with GFX 50S?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,094
A7riv has not closed the gap to MF

Manzur Fahim wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just checking water and see what everyone's opinion is. So I sold my GFX 50S with Steelsring EF-GFX Adapter and the Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX HSM. And now the Guy is saying if I want, he will exchange it again with my Sony A7R IV + Sony Planar T* FE 50mm F/1.4 ZA and also give me around $1200 cash.

I already have GFX 100, so what would you do if you were in my shoe? Exchange or politely decline?

Let's see what everyone thinks of this. Thanks in advance.

Manzur

Having just tried the A7riv and having got briefly swept up with the Sony marketing about it being closer to MF, I found it to be a pretty horrible camera (and I say that as a big fan of Sony A7 cameras having owned all generations of R cams to this point.).  Noisy images and unreliable AF.  I ended up with a Nikon Z backup...

my primary system is the GFX50S, and I find it fast enough to use for a huge range of work - the only reason I don’t have another S or a 50R as my backup is financial - there is, in my opinion, no comparison in the detail and look of the images.  In your position the only reason I’d consider the Sony is if I shot something specifically that the Sony can deal with but the Fuji can’t, and so far I haven’t found what that is.

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow