Sudden bloat in C:\System Volume folder?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,660
Sudden bloat in C:\System Volume folder?

My Windows 10 System Disk suddenly bloated. After a lot of poking around I found 20 files in the C:\System Volume folder totaling 16 gigs. These are files with the long meaningless "hashed" file names that are supposed to be "Shadow" copies or System Restore Points.

The files were all created daily at 1:00am in the last 3 weeks. I ran the System Restore dialogue to delete all restore points. Nothing happened, all files remained. I ran the system Disk Cleanup steps. Again, nothing.

Google led me to a procedure to run the "VSS" utility from the command prompt to set the available space for restore points to the minimum 1GB. That worked. All the files were gone. I've been using Macrium Reflect to backup the OS for a few years. The size of those backups has been fairly constant. The last was huge and that's how I discovered the bloat.

My system has not had any OS updates in a long time. The only software I've installed during the last 3 weeks is Topaz MaskAI and Photoshop 2020. So, I'm at a loss to understand what is creating these files precisely at 1:00am every day. But I'm getting suspicious of Photoshop 2020.

Any ideas?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow