Canon 90D birds in flight field experience

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rnclark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,921
Canon 90D birds in flight field experience

Hi,

I just returned from Alaska photographing eagles and some fast flying seagulls. I had with me a 90D, 7D2 and 6D2.

After some comparisons with the 7D2 and 90D on the first day using a 300 f/2.8 + 1.4x TC, I was so impressed with the 90D I used it for all my wildlife action photography the rest of the trip (the 6D2 was for landscapes). I used single AF point that I would move around for composition, face detect off, 1st and 2nd frame: focus priority, and acceleration +1. When ever I got the AF point on the bird, the 90D locked focus extremely quickly and tracked superbly (again if I could keep the AF point on the subject). Tracking was no easy task as the velocity of the birds was 30 to 60 miles per hour (I measured the velocity of several at 60 mph heading toward me at frame filling range). With birds darting to and fro to avoid fights with other birds, accelerations here high and my physical tracking was difficult. Yet the 90D performed very very well. In my experience imaging action with tens of thousands of frames with a 1D4, and 7D2, and now about 6000 frames with the 90D, I assess the AF speed and accuracy of the 3 cameras in this order (worst to best): 1D4, 7D2, and top, 90D. All three are excellent performers, with the differences small. The 90D, however, did significantly better in backlit situations, which is the common case in the Chilkat Eagle Preserve. Below is an example of a fast incoming eagle doing an evasive maneuver, and the 90D tracked it perfectly in multiple frames, a consistent story.

Many images with the 90D are in my Haines, Alaska galley, including a larger version of the image below.

Bald Eagle Evasive Flight Maneuver #2272, Canon 90D, 300 f/2.8 + 1.4x TC, R. Clark

Soon I'll have info on the dark current for the 90D.  It looks very good, so will make a great low light long exposure camera.  The uniformity is very good and banding virtually non existent.

I got the 90D mainly for its 4K crop mode for wildlife.  The 4K video is excellent: nice and sharp with lots of detail.  The headphone out enabled me to monitor sounds nicely (I used an external microphone that was directional for use with the telephoto).  I do not have any online video accounts so will not post any video for a while.

I am generally conservative with my rapid fire shooting, and I rarely run out of buffer with the 7D2 and even less on the 1D4, but I ran out often with the 90D and eagles in extended fights.  I hope canon puts this AF system in a camera with a larger buffer (hint canon, I want a 7D3).

All the images in the gallery were processed from raw with rawtherapee via dng files.  I find rawtherapee recovered highlights better, had better shadow detail with less noise and a sharper image than photoshop CS6 ACR.

Roger

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow