Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,402
Re: Exchange Sony A7R IV with GFX 50S?

Manzur Fahim wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Manzur Fahim wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just checking water and see what everyone's opinion is. So I sold my GFX 50S with Steelsring EF-GFX Adapter and the Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX HSM. And now the Guy is saying if I want, he will exchange it again with my Sony A7R IV + Sony Planar T* FE 50mm F/1.4 ZA and also give me around $1200 cash.

I already have GFX 100, so what would you do if you were in my shoe? Exchange or politely decline?

Let's see what everyone thinks of this. Thanks in advance.

Manzur

Presumably, you bought the a7RIV for a reason. What was the reason? Is there any circumstance in which having both a GFX 100 and a GFX 50S would be helpful to you? What circumstance(s)? Weigh those two answers against each other.

Jim

I bought the A7R IV as an upgrade from the A7r III. When I had the GFX 50S, I'd always keep the A7r III with it, as GFX 50S was more limited in what it could do. But now I see that GFX 100 is not as limited and can do better, A7R IV does not get as much use as R3 used to. It is sill a great camera, no doubt.

1. Having two GFX body means I can just carry and buy GF lenses, no E mount lenses.

2. 60MP FF with 3.76 micron pixels is not better than 51MP MF with 5.30 micron pixels.

3. A7R IV is a very capable camera, GFX 50S is not in terms of AF speed and performance.

4. Having a different system means I can maybe sometimes carry just the Sony, where GFX is a bit overkill.

Still confused, but maybe I'll just keep the A7R IV.

If you don't need those things that the a7RIV and associated lenses can do and the GFX cameras can't, then saying goodbye to E-mount makes sense.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow