Accidentally taking photos at high ISO and trying to prevent that

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gf1701 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Accidentally taking photos at high ISO and trying to prevent that

I've been taking a lot of photos where I have ISO on auto and the camera is setting the value to 500, 800, or more, even in decent light, and I didn't notice it before shooting. I've become more conscious of it and often make the corrections in other settings now, but I still sometimes neglect it for a series of shots. I'm trying to reduce these instances, and tried two approaches, unsuccessfully:

1. I set the ISO Limit Set to 400. I thought that would prevent me from taking photos with an ISO greater than 400 by accident, but it did not; it still show 500, 800, even 1200. Can someone explain what this setting actually does?

2. I use the Program AE (P) setting for the majority of my photos, but it is using F2.8 as its default aperture setting, which results in a high ISO to compensate. I thought that when I changed the setting to F5.6 or F8, the camera would remember the setting for next time I switched into that mode, but it does not. Is there a way to set the default F stop for Program AE mode? (Or maybe I should just use Aperture mode as my default manual setting?)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow