Strange behaviour? What could it be?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max_Macro Forum Member • Posts: 55
Strange behaviour? What could it be?

I happened to feel like running some comparison shots between an EF-S 55-250 IS STM @55mm (I got recently) and an old EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

Due to the aperture differences and one being a prime and another a zoom, I had thought the results would be very close or favouring the 50mm.

However some low light shots of some small texts on a kitchen bottle shown the 55-250@55mm produced sharp results while the 50mm failed.

a closer look found it’s the AF. The 55-250 nailed the AF every time. The 50mm hesitated, hunted and was inconsistent every time. Using 10x Liveview mode, I could see how the 50mm tried to focus only to struggle and then settle on a locked in focus which was blurry. Using MF, I could make the 50mm focus on the texts.

The camera was a Canon M50, both lenses were mounted via the same adaptor.

Could the strange behaviour of the old 50mm be some compatibility issues with the M50 camera’s certain settings?

Could it be that the adaptor affected the 50mm but not the 55-250?

This 50mm lens was proven to be capable of producing sharp images in AF.

Appreciate any insights.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow