Fujifilm X-T4, achieve compact size with 3 stops IBIS

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peetz Junior Member • Posts: 28
Fujifilm X-T4, achieve compact size with 3 stops IBIS

Fuji engineers are obsessed with ultimate quality, at the expense of sacrificing low weight. That is why the majority of recent Fuji new gear is so big and heavy.

Fuji engineers complain they IBIS would make the X-T4 too heavy.

I think that's because they are aiming at the 5-stops IBIS that the X-H1 achieves.

I feel that a mere 3 stops of IBIS would be sufficient for the X-T4 to keep its weight down. Three stops is like having an f4 lens, and suddenly being given a f1.4 lens. That is already superb.

I wonder if Fuji can easily achieve compact IBIS in the X-T and X-E line, if it lowers its target by just giving IBIS that achieves merely 3 stops, rather than the 5.5 stops achievable by the X-H series.

I am camping out on my X-T2, which is superb image quality, until Fuji brings IBIS to the X-T line-up. I won't buy any non-stablized primes.

Ansel Adams used to say that the cheapest lens when used with a tripod is sharper than the most expensive lens with camera-shake. IBIS is like having a tripod all the time, or the next best thing.

IBIS is needed for people who:

- take photos of mostly static, non-moving subjects, e.g. landscape

- yearn to use base ISO as far as possible.

- do not take sports action.

- hate the micro-fuzziness of hand-held shots below 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2

That is not everyone. People that don't need IBIS are those that take action shots, are happy taking photos at ISO 3200, and do not pixel peep. There is a certain arrogance of such people who claim that IBIS is not needed.

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow