AF Fine Tune and Focus Hunting

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Akscooby New Member • Posts: 4
AF Fine Tune and Focus Hunting

Since I upgraded to a 16-80 lens for my D500 I have found the pics to be every so slightly out of focus so started trying to use AF Fine tune. Currently experimenting with the auto function vs my own comparisons between a series at -1, -2 -3 and so on.

However I keep getting the odd pic quite a but out of focus so its making me question the whole process as the series is not consistent e.g. I get to -4 thinking its spot on then the next -5 will be miles out but the next time I try -5 is very little difference.

I just sat with the camera on a tripod using a time delay and back button focus (single point)

on Live view it hunts around and comes back to the same place on the lens distance scale every time

However through the view finder it moves and 70% of the time back to the same point but every so often its a slightly different. (e.g lined up with the "." at 1.5.. then maybe the other side of the 5 for a shot then back to the "." again"

Pics are screen grabs from a video showing some of the differences, there are some even further apart though.

Any ideas where the problem lies and how it can be resolved?

First AF point

nothing moved other than pressing AF button again, ends up closer to the 1.5 (next shot was actually lined up with the .)

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow