32" 4k monitors for photo and video editing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Koch Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
32" 4k monitors for photo and video editing

I've used a 27" 1080p Dell monitor for over 9 years. No complaints, other than that its accompanying 2nd-generation i7 machine is nearing its last legs and, nowadays, it helps to be able to edit 4k video smoothly, even if the work output remains 1080p. Finally, someone in the household may want to play video games that optimize at 4k resolution with 60hz frame rates or higher.

I have found a newer PC with an RTX 2070 graphics card that will suffice for 4k at 60fps. It will set me back some $1,700. Now the trouble is to find a monitor / display that will complement the CPU specs, without costing as much as the computer and without exposing me to quick obsolescence.

There are lots of affordable 27" monitors that offer 1440p or 2160p resolution. But my wager is that the higher resolution is moot unless the monitor is also a bit larger: not 43", but at least 32".

Trouble: the monitors with IPS displays best rated for photo / video edits tend to cost plenty. Even those models often have lots of sour one and two-star buyer ratings because of defects that appear after several months' use. The other problem is that almost none of the extant 32" IPS monitors are fully compatible with NVIDIA GPU g-sync, which helps avoid image "tearing" when FPS performance varies.

Meanwhile, there are several 32" 4k displays that cost less, and are fully or partially compatible with NVIDIA g-sync, but use the "VA" panel protocol, which performs well, offering higher dynamic range, but is not often recommended as ideal for photo or video content creation, due to color shift dependent on angle of view.

Have any DPR forum participants recently purchased any 4k 32" displays? What have you liked or not?

I know there are lots of YT reviews of displays, but the "box opening" and "first hand" observations don't reveal much about what happens >6 months later and after heavy use.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow