RP battery CIPA rating

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
koenkooi Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: RP battery CIPA rating

Dexter75 wrote:

The CIPA rating for the RP is 250 shots. I just did two shoots back to back in studio today. I took 1,523 shots and my battery indicator still has two bars showing. I could have easily put over 2k shots on this battery. How are these ratings done and how are they so incredibly wrong? I could see being off by 100 shots maybe, but 2k shots? Ive heard people in reviews say battery life is a concern on the RP as they mention it only takes 250 shots. They are clearly going by the specs and not actually testing it fully.

I've found it also matters which lens you use. Last week I used a the 100-400mm L and I took around 800 pictures in 6 hours time. At the end the 3rd battery was more than half full. A similar situation with the Sigma 150mm OS gave me 600 pictures on a single battery.

I think the difference in my case is cause by the IS running all the time and the 100-400mm needing a lot more power to do so.

Regardless, the way CIPA tests battery life is not how I use my camera, have a look at the explanation at stackexchange.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow