Potential move back to Canon, a few questions

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,292
Potential move back to Canon, a few questions

Hey all,

With the latest firmware and the improvements to eye AF, I have contemplated the move back to Canon and the EOS-R.  I used to own the 6D for awhile and loved it.  Then I got the mirrorless bug and went to the Sony a7iii.  In general I really like it.  It's blazing fast, has great IQ and dynamic range, very feature rich and I love IBIS.  Overall it's great.  But, I do find that I have to do more work on my photos in post, and sometimes I miss the Canon files.

When the EOS-R first came out, I was interested but it seemed like Sony's Eye-AF was drastically ahead, it has no IBIS, FPS seemed too slow and lenses were pretty expensive.  I'm starting to come around, but have a few questions.

Eye af seems to be pretty close to Sony now so that's good.

No IBIS obviously, but is the digital stabilization good enough for family videos?  I don't do professional video work.  Seems like that might work (I'll be using mostly primes likely, so no IS)

FPS is slower than the Sony.  I never use 10 fps, it's too many pictures to go through.  Most often I use the 8fps or 6fps settings.  Here's my question.  Can the Canon track a subject very well at 5fps?  I had heard that tracking brought it down to like 3 fps?  Does it work ok with adapted EF lenses?

Last question, how do adapted EF lenses do with video autofocus?  Especially lenses with USM motors

Those are my questions!

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow