My Tanzania Safari

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
itsmehere
itsmehere Junior Member • Posts: 37
My Tanzania Safari

I had planned this trip from around Feb  and was looking forward to it for a long time! The trip was everything I expected and more. I changed the list of kit I was taking too many times prior to the trip and was still undecided up to a few weeks before. After asking the advice of Friedrich von Hrsten by PM about what lenses to take, he said in one of his messages;

PLEASE don't leave your 500mm PF behind!

And boy am I glad I heeded his advice and took it with me!!

I took 2 camera bodies which were my D500 & Z7. I also took 4 lenses, 300mmPF, 500mmPF, 70-200mmf2.8 & the new F4 24-70mm I got with my Z7 kit. This had to be spread between my carry on & my Wife's. The carry on bags  were only weighed once during the whole trip where the ground staff made me take a camera body out of my bag and put it in my Wife's to balance out the weight allowed. As soon as we got through security I put it back in mine.

We spent 13 nights on Safari leaving camp before or just on sunrise every day and most days got back after sunset. We visited 5 National Parks, stayed in 6 fantastic lodges, covered just over 3,500km and I bought home 7,600 images thanks to the high frame rate of both bodies!

After each day I backed my images up to my Wife's Macbook & a further copy to my 1tb ssd external hard drive. I then formated my XQD cards, charged up the batteries ready for the next day .

For the first 2 days I'd leave the lodge with the 300mmmPF on my D500 & the 70-200 on my Z7. The vehicles have to stay on the tracks/roads in Tanzania so I found myself changing to my 500mmPF early on the outing for those first 2 days. The 500mm PF became a permanent lens fixed to my D500 for the rest of the trip and although I haven't counted all of my image lens use I feel the D500/500mm PF combo was my most used.

The first day was raining when we visited Arusha National Park so dust wasn't a problem! This was the only day we saw rain on the whole trip. Next we traveled on to Tarengire where we got our first experience of dust. It is extremely fine and gets everywhere! We then went on to vist Ngorongoro (the dust was probably at it's worse here)  Serengeti Western corridoor,  a break from the dust when we stayed at Lake Victoria, then back to Central Serengeti, Lake Manyara and Manyara NP as our last park. Out of them all, Manyara NP was the most disappointing but I did get some great Fish Eagle shots whilst there. After a long time processing my images in LR I've sorted them down to 550 of the ones that I like. They are in their own directory and are the ones I show to friends and family.

What would I do differently if I was to go on this trip again?

Not much really. I'd take another battery charger as at some lodges the power is switched off over night so all charging had to be done before 10pm. Both cameras share the same batteries and memory cards which was a good thing. I took 1 spare battery for each camera but I'd take 2 spares for each body  if doing it again. If you're planning on a Safari to Tanzania you don't need to bother with the local currency as U.S Dollars are accepted everywhere. I'd advise you to take low denomination notes for tips etc. Also make sure the notes are dated after 2015 (I think) as they won't accept any dated before this.

Now onto some of my fav shots from the trip. There are quite a few !!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4s, Nikon D500, Nikon Z7 + some nice glass !!

Nikon D500 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow