Time to upgrade...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,231
Re: Time to upgrade...

shutterbug61 wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

I hadn't heard of the StoreMI tech; Interesting, but it's hardly a chore to operate with separate drives.

I totally agree with you here. Earlier this year I built myself a Ryzen 5 2600-based desktop PC for photo processing (DxO PhotoLab 2), editing (Affinity Photo), and management (Photools IMatch) using a 500GB second generation WD Black M.2 NVMe SSD as the primary drive and a WD Blue 4TB HDD as the secondary. After installing Windows 10 Home I simply created the usual top-level user folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos) on the D: drive and then changed the Location properties for each of the corresponding shortcuts under This PC in File Explorer to map to my new folders on the D: drive. Very simple.

The 128Gb SSD + 2Tb HDD computer that I mentioned is an Acer AMD A9 laptop. I originally bought it 2 or 3 years ago as a travel computer, but it was pressed into service for general office work. I've left the default user folders standard, since most stuff gets saved to the file server. The 2Tb HDD is used for a range of general data, including my photo archive, scanned originals and server backups going back 2 years.

Originally USD$600, this was a good purchase; I was skeptical about the A9 CPU (roughly half the performance of a mobile i7), and the smallish SSD, but in practice, the user experience is OK, particularly considering that i runs a large 4k monitor. It even has USB-C and a DVD drive.

As mentioned, I'm planning to shift my Dell laptop (Ryzen 7, 16 Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) into the server role for general office documents. Early trials with dummy data are promising, with considerably faster data access. So, it will be almost entirely an SSD system, apart from mass storage and backups.

The present server is also a laptop, a basic HP i7 with 1Tb HDD, which has given good service, and runs most of the time. It will become my travel computer (unless my wife grabs it, as she did with the AMD A9). Lately, it's refused to run an external screen and I'm not sure if it's software or hardware, but I don't want to troubleshoot at the moment. It actually has two sets of video hardware (Radeon + Intel) , and there may be an issue in that area.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow