How to best make use of incompatible flash

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ipsMSD New Member • Posts: 7
How to best make use of incompatible flash

I have a canon 80D and

600ex-RT flash, Yongnuo 600exRT flash, Canon, 270ex ii flash and a Triopo TR980 flash.

I also have a yongnuo E3-RT controller and a couple of their E3 receivers. So I CAN get the non E3 flashes to be controlled just fine with my E3 controller. Everything seems to work and the flash settings are changed according to controller.

In addition, I also have a Yongnuo 685 flash for Nikon. I can turn off that radio and put it on one of the E3 receivers and it does fire when supposed to. But the receiver doesnt change any of the flash settings. I guess I should expect that because the flash is for Nikon. not Canon.

And, when controlled, it does behave according to manual settings. iTTL, M, etc. So I have 2cquestions.

1) What would be the best way to integrate this incompatible flash into the system? Consider this an academic exercize since the obvious reply might be, "don't"

2) with eTTL, how is proper exposure calculated? Does the camera determine proper light amount and set each flash,? or does a sensor in the camera just determine when enough light is received and shut off the flashes

I'm trying to understand how multiple flash powers are incorporated such that one doesnt over power the others.

Canon EOS 80D Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow