Why to m4/3 camera makers not step up to 40 MP?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,033
Why to m4/3 camera makers not step up to 40 MP?

Yeah, yeah, I know . . . noise . . . but ultimately, with BSI technology, I don't see how the noise will be all that bad. With the same pixel density as the Sony and Panasonic 1" sensors that they've been puting into cameras like the FZ1000 for years, camera companies that make m4/3 cameras could make m4/3 sensors with 40 MP (maybe more). Why haven't they doubled the number of pixels yet? It's like they're stuck in time. I mean I know it took them a long time to step up from 16 MP to 20 MP, and that was just a little step up, but with BSI technology, I don't see why they couldn't double the MP counts in their newest cameras. After-all, the processors have to be at least twice as fast now as they were when these companies made their first 20 MP cameras, right? So it's not like stepping up to 40 MP would cause a major issue with speed. What can we expect in the m4/3 world over the next two or three years? Will m4/3 flagship cameras be 40 MP cameras in two or three years, or will m4/3 forever be relegated to being "low-resolution" cameras, when compared to their full-frame brethren?

It just doesn't seem like the m4/3 system is progressing much these days, while it seems full-frame systems are going mirrorless, and stepping up significantly, with whole new lens systems and camera lines we've never seen before (i.e. the new Panasonics).

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow