fastest way to offload pics from sd card to ssd WITHOUT LAPTOP

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: fastest way to offload pics from sd card to ssd WITHOUT LAPTOP

Greetings.

When I was using Fuji, I wireless copy to my Samsung Note 4. But it's only 30 pics at a time but adequate if I wanna share files fast.  My Fuji has been down for months so I stopped using this method.

So I go back to using my Sony nex. I pop the SD card into a small card reader and with an OTG adaptor I copy the photos onto my Samsung Note 4.

I usually copy about 100 pics for about day or half a day of shooting. Sometimes a couple of pics would turn up unviewable, and I would delete this files. As it's not a big deal to repeat the process i jist select all the photos and command the phone to copy into the same on my phone. The phone would just copy those missing ones after prompting me about the presence of similar files.

Both the card reader and the adaptor are about 1.50 usd each. And since I use a microsd card in my Sony Nex, I'm not worried about wear and tear. I can also pop in the micro SD card into my phone and copy the contents but I don't like how my phone's OS sometimes f up the card's format and made me lose all my photos. A big no-no IMO.

PS, I can't remember when was the last time I fired up my laptop.

Parisian wrote:

I have tried the following before:

WD Wireless Pro: very unreliable, sometimes transfers 998 out of 1000 pics, missing 2 or even corrupting a few pics. Slow transfer speed, approx 40MB/s.

Transfer via P30 Pro with USB-C powered hub with 3.1Gen2 Ports, Samsung T5 SSD and Paragon exFAT app: Surprisingly even slower, approx. 20MB/s even though all my equipment can do 90MB/s when connected to PC/laptop.

Laptop is the best/most reliable, but a waste of luggage space especially when travelling, when I simply just want to transfer pics on the go.

Gnarbox looks reliable, but super overpriced for what it does.

Any other options I missed out?

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow