First day out with 11-22mm

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,937
First day out with 11-22mm

I do a fair bit of architectural photography, and fortunately live near a small city with a lot of old buildings.  (Troy, NY)

Over the years I have developed a little route through the center of town that takes me by some neat structures, and I'm so familiar with them that I use them to test new gear at this point.  Sometimes something surprising pops up (new paint, new rot, new construction (boo!), new murals, serendipitous placement of trash bins :-D, etc.), so that's a fun thing to capture, too, although for comparison purposes, the old standbys are still the best....

Anyway, the first day out with the M50 and the kit 15-45mm left me so uninspired with the results(mushy brick walls, low contrast and microcontrast, and meh color....) that I decided to get the 11-22mm and give it a try.  People review it well, and images I have seen taken with it look more like what I was hoping for.  So, I ordered one, and fortunately it was not sub-zero out today, so off I went.

Verdict?  Nice lens.  Very pleased with the images I got today with it.  VERY good focal range for in-town.  I think I will probably just sell the 15-45mm and use the 11-22mm as my short zoom.  It's a much better lens than the kit 15-45mm.  It's also a lot of fun working out at the wide end of this; prior to this my only lens wider than 24mm (FF equiv) was a fisheye, so having a non-fishy 11mm (18mm FF eq) is great, especially for close-in architectural situations.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the lot of them (they have been downsized for easier viewing).

-J

Green Island Bridge over the Hudson

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow