AFMA calibration

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cantaxonpen New Member • Posts: 21
AFMA calibration

I may have started a thread here on this topic years ago, or on a different forum, but after spending hours calibrating focus for lenses on a 90D (just returned it, I give up), I have to ask, how has this not been a bigger deal?

My Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8 lenses required a lot of AFMA on my D7200.

My Canon 50mm 1.4, 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 and 35mm f2 required some bit of AFMA on both a 7D2 and 80D

My Pentax 50mm 1.4, 35mm f2, 77mm 1.8 all required some bit of AFMA on a K3-II and K50.

I had a SL1 that desperately needed AFMA with a 50mm 1.8 I ended up giving up on it all together.

The lenses and bodies are a mix of new and used, and the bodies were all bought new from either Canon or Amazon. I mean am I just that unlucky? (I mean I had focus issues with an a7ii with the 24-105mm stm and 70-200mm f4 is mk1 adapted via a MC11 adapter, maybe I am cursed)

I will never buy DSLR without AFMA, and I will probably just get a MILC with hybrid or contrast detect AF at this point just to never have to deal with phase detect misalignment ever again. I see people say they've never needed AFMA, I just can't believe that with fast lenses. I only had 2 fast lenses that didn't require any adjustment bought from Canon, and that's only after buying the body from Canon at the same time. and they're both ever so slightly miscalibrated on the new 90D.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) Nikon D7200 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow