Creating a legacy, round 2 -

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,993
Creating a legacy, round 2 -

Last year i had given my daughter my EM1, although i figured i'd see how interested she was over time. It was a gift for her 8th birthday, although i was ok if she was not ready to take to such a complex hobby yet. After several months she seemed as content using her phone as she was the EM1, so it quietly stayed in it's bag and eventually was loaned to other family.

Fast forward almost a year now and she recently told me she wants a "real" camera. She takes a lot of photos with her phone, many cat photos, some selfies, some shots of a nice sunset and trees. But she's getting to the point i think where she's outgrowing phones, she wants more control, better performance, more DOF control, more options with lenses, and a year can make a big difference in the mind of a child.

She has an LG V30+ so not a very old phone at all, but a REAL camera is what she wants. She's a year older now and seems to really enjoy shooting my D300 as we tested it out today for her. She mentioned she really liked the OVF, that it looked like real life. I have a month till Christmas so if i don't find anything online that's priced right and is much better than her phone, she will inherit my D300 and a kit zoom for starters.

Here's a couple shots from this evening, wasn't too much she could shoot as i only have a 100mm macro for it but i wanted to see if she would like the design vs the ML EM1. I think this time, photography will stick. Nothing would make me happier than for my princess to follow my footsteps. She will also be getting a computer and will have PS available, which she is excited to use. She's already very into editing on her phone so this seems a good fit. Feel free to share.

-- hide signature --

"Burning, burning, faster, faster are your revolutionists,
If I could collapse the masses,
We'd be free to grow our wings" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow