80D, M6 Mark II, or RP?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,215
Re: 80D, M6 Mark II, or RP?

I'm not going to tell you which camera I recommend at first, just give you what I hope you will find to be some helpful information. Ultimately only you can decide which camera best suits your needs and your budget, and compromise is always necessary.

The lenses you have will fit either a 6D II or an 80D without any adapters.

In my opinion the R series of cameras is close to but not completely ready for prime time.

Must landscapes are shot with short focal length lenses but there are many times when you get a better landscape if you use a longer focal length lens. Shooting portraits, another big use of any camera, should be done with longer focal length lenses. Flexibility is key in any type of photography!

If you didn't have any lenses I would recommend the 80D with a EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS or EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF Lens Lineup

The 80D is an APS-C camera so the effective focal length of any lens is about 1.6 times the given focal length. This means these lenses have an effective focal length range of 29-216mm.

I shot landscapes for many years with a FF film camera and 35mm or 50mm lenses so a length of 18mm (29mm effective) is a reasonable wide angle focal length for landscapes with the 80D. Being able to zoom to a longer focal length opens up new ways to shoot landscapes and cityscapes. Flexibility!

Portraits should be shot from 15' to prevent perspective distortion, extension distortion or compression distortion. These are incorrectly called wide angle and telephoto distortion but they have absolutely nothing to do with the focal length of the lens, only the distanced between the subject and the camera.

With an APS-C camera at 15' portraits should be shot between 50mm (80mm effective) for full length and 200mm (320 effective) for a tight head shot with the focal length varying depending on the portrait composition between these extremes. Flexibility!

The EF-S 18-135mm lenses don't reach the 200mm for a tight head shot so you simply move in as little as possible to keep extension distortion as small as possible. Shooting at 15' eliminates but anywhere down to 10' keeps distortion so small that it is hard to detect. If necessary crop the image a bit in post. You will still have plenty of pixels for a 11"x14" or even 20"x30" portrait print if desired- I have seen great 20"x30" portraits from a 3 Mp camera.

Of course you can also use the lenses you already have on an 80D. The 50mm lens is a good one for street people photography because of the wider aperture. You shouldn't stop down more than necessary so you keep a wider depth of field but it is nice to have the wider aperture for those times it is needed.

What about the full frame 6D II?

The 6d II can give you a little bit better image quality and the same focal length lens will have a wider angle of view with the FF camera for landscapes/cityscapes.

The current lenses you have will work with it. Both the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens and the 50mm lens are good starter lens for landscapes. The 50mm lens is a good general purpose lens.

Budget priced general purpose zooms for the FF cameras are not as common and to get good quality general purpose lenses for 6D II will take more money than for the 80D. The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM are the more budget priced general purpose zooms for FF cameras.

Okay, finally my recommendations.

Based purely on budget constraints buy the 80D as a kit with one of the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses. Sell the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens and get the EF-M 11-22 lens as Rock and Rollei recommended.  Keep the 50mm f/1.4 lens. This is a very good kit for almost any type of photography.

If you intend on investing more money over the next year or two then buy the 6D II and use your current lenses until you know if you need a different lens and what it should be. Keep your eyes open for good used or refurbished lenses.

Canon Refurbished Lenses | Canon Online Store

Tony & Chelsea Northrup - Buying Used Cameras & Lenses Warranties, eBay, sniping & MORE

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow