Samsung Evo PLUS 256GB U3 - Disheartened by an article

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
arikevin Regular Member • Posts: 194
Samsung Evo PLUS 256GB U3 - Disheartened by an article

I have been using Samsung Evo Plus 256GB for its rated speed my cameras for more than a year now. No problem or whatsoever so far. Until I chanced upon an article that says:

"I also have a massive Samsung 256 GB EVO Plus MicroSD card, which normally lives in my phone. It’s even faster than the full-sized SanDisk SD card, with a write speed of about 60 MB/s—so technically, if I put it in my camera, I should be able to take even more full-speed shots before seeing a slowdown. But because it’s MicroSD and not SD, it needs the adapter sleeve. Despite the superior write speed thanks to its U3 classification, the camera begins to slow down after just three seconds and about 35 photos. The only variable is the adapter sleeve, which can’t keep up with either the camera or the card it’s holding."

I was not aware an adapter can cause slow down in write speed. Thus, i grabbed myself two pieces of legit and authentic copies of Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS-I 64GB (Read up to 170MB/s) for about USD 17 from a reputable seller and tested it on my PC with CrystalDiskMark software. I have a USB3.0 card reader Sandisk Image Mate Pro (3-in-1 card reader for CF/SD/mSD).

From the result below, Samsung Evo PLUS 256GB has a faster sequential write speed even though it is attached with a microSD to SD adapter. While researching on the same subject, I found a lot of people are discouraging the use of microSD card with an adapter on a DSLR.

Is anybody using the same Samsung card and what is your experience with it?

Samsung Evo Plus 256GB MicroSD (with an adapter)

Samsung Evo Plus 256GB MicroSD (without an adapter)

Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB SD

arikevin's gear list:arikevin's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow