Very fast moving action

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Very fast moving action

Not particularly related to Nikon, but I really don't know where else on DPREVIEW to post this.

On my travels, where the vast bulk of my shooting occurs, I sometimes encounter very fast action scenes.  There is really no time for looking through the view finder and trying to properly framing what seems to be happening.

What I do is simply hold the camera out in front of me with one or preferably both hands, pointing at the action, and keep pushing the shutter release as fast as I can.  It is much like shooting a handgun, holding camera with one or both hands and pointing in the direction of the fast moving situation that I want to capture.  Works best with wider FL lenses.

Better results seem to be achieved when holding with two hands, but sometimes that is not possible.  The optimum framing is unlikely; but then again I get the shot that most shooters can;'t.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow