Is it time to upgrade or should I stick with DX? D3400 to full frame...

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kris_alva New Member • Posts: 3
Is it time to upgrade or should I stick with DX? D3400 to full frame...

Alright everyone, here's the story:

In November 2017, I had a 200-dollar Best Buy gift card. With it I purchased a D3400 kit with the standard 18-55G (VR), the 70-300 (non VR) and several other accessories like an SD card holder, cleaning kit, and a few other things (bundle totaled to $334 new after gift card, tax included).

At the time, I knew I wanted to get into photography, but knew nothing about gear. All I knew was that:

1. The D3400 was a great entry-level camera.
  2. I wasn't big on buying anything used at the time.
  3. My gift card was only days away from expiring.

After practicing with that gear for a little under a year, I eventually sold both bundled lenses (around $150 total) and purchased a used 35mm f1.8G DX and a used Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS HSM (total of $200 for both).

A few months ago, I was dead set on selling the two lenses and the D3400, picking up a used D750, then eventually getting some FX glass (ie the Nikkor 60mm f2.8D micro or the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro) when I was randomly gifted a nearly new D60 body (currently just under 7000 actuations). I figured what the hell and purchased a battery grip and an additional battery (both new) for the D60 for $35 total and have been going back and forth between using both cameras with those same two lenses.

Now, having traveled and shot much more since my first purchase of the D3400 in 2017, and playing around with my less-intuitive D60 in recent months, I feel like I could step into the world of full frame. Maybe I'm wrong, but I digress.

In summation, my question is this: should I just take a step back for a moment, not spend any more money and just appreciate the gear I already have (which produce fine results, in my opinion), or should I make the leap? If so, any recommendations on what you'd sell/not sell if you were me to lessen the financial blow of going full frame?

**DISCLAIMER** For one, I believe that the gear does not define the impact of the photos taken. While i don't expect my photos to look better by going full frame, I know the switch would instead make capturing the kinds of shots I want a little easier. I'm also aware that neither of the lenses I have would work on a full frame body, but I've recently found a seller getting rid of the two Nikkor and Tokina lenses I mentioned above. I'm open to other lens suggestions, though.

Any tips would be awesome. Cheers!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon D3400 Nikon D750 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow