Z Adapter for Older AF Nikkors?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,199
Re: Z Adapter for Older AF Nikkors?

wjansen wrote:

I would love to be able to use my older AF Nikon lenses and get the full benefit of AF and image stabilization. Anyone think Nikon or others are working on such an adapter?

We do not know for sure if such an adapter would be available anytime, but I am pretty sure that in developing the Z system, Nikon had developed working prototypes of various adapters, and one that can AF with old AF-D screw type lenses.  Such adapter would need a motor inside to drive the AF screw and it can make the adapter bulky, as well as expensive.  Further more, the AF performance (speed / accuracy) may not be satisfactory enough or may make the software for all the AF features quite complex, so It is Nikon product development / finance / management decision to have the present FTZ and not to market some other adapter at this time.  While this may irritate many people who have the older AF-D lenses, I can understand Nikon decision.

Do I wish to see an adapter for older AF-D lenses? Yes, I do like to see one.  But such an adapter probably would cost $350-500 easily.  I would put a low probability of such a product from Nikon coming to market.  Some 3rd party (like TechArt) may come up with one, who knows?

-- hide signature --

Esc (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
Z6 / Df / D810 / D750 / D500 / D7500 / D5500 / K-5 / X-T2 / X-E3 / GX85 / V1-V2-V3 / LX100 / X30 / Coolpix A / ZS100 / HX80

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 +81 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow