A7riv af twitchy in low-light compared to A9?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
A7riv af twitchy in low-light compared to A9?

Hi,

I pointed my a7riv at my lamp shade which has lines on it and the a9 could easily lock on with 24-70/2.8 and other lenses.  The a7riv keeps racking focus and is confused.  It cannot settle down. I was using the same settings on a7r4 and a9.

Tonight I was testing the a7riv on a tripod.  I was shooting some street shots with 50/1.4 planar and the a7r4 just could not lock focus even when I pointed at the lines of a vehicle window to lock the focus.

I know Sony reserves the best af for a9 but this isn't even close in low light.  The a9 focuses decisively and I cannot remember it hunting like a7riv.  I had to switch to manual to shoot a lot of the nighttime street photos even though there was a lot of ambient street lighting and neon lights to illuminate the street.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow