80D, M6 Mark II, or RP?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 1,883
Re: 80D, M6 Mark II, or RP?

For me, the key requirement you have is hiking/trekking. That means weight and bulk is absolutely at a premium, so I would without question recommend the M6 II. I would also suggest selling the 17-40 and replacing it with the EF-M 11-22. That kit gives nothing away in IQ to the others - it's probably better - and is significantly smaller and lighter.   It's a no-brainer, in fact. I would also consider selling the 50 to buy a 22mm f2 for lower light use - it's a tiny little lens, but optically very decent.

The RP is pretty small and light, but it's lenses aren't. If you really wanted to stay with a DSLR, the 250D/SL3 with EF-S lenses would make sense because of size and weight, but it's significantly more than the M6 II with EF-M lenses.
Personally, I shoot professionally with the 5D IV and EOS R (backed up with a 6D and 7D II), and I use those same cameras for some of my landscapes - but for travel and hiking, I use Ms, and have done for a while. The separate viewfinder for me is a huge advantage - if I want to travel really light, I don't need to carry it.  Remove it, and the camera packs down pretty small, and it can be tucked away almost anywhere.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow