Image stabilization not working -- or wonky

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanRichman
DanRichman Junior Member • Posts: 25
Image stabilization not working -- or wonky

I have a new X-T30 with the 18-55 kit lens. I cannot make image stabilization work reliably.

I have switched it on and off on the lens. I have gone into the menu and selected "continuous" vs. "shooting only." No difference.

I know that some connection is being made electronically between the lens and the body, because the "stabilization off" icon appears on the LCD/EVF when I switch the IS off.

BUT -- if I shake the camera vigorously, occasionally (but not consistently) the image on the LCD/EVF dims and what may be image stabilization occurs. Moving the camera around produces jerky movements, as though the image is sticky. I guess you could say it's stabilized.

Then, upon pressing the shutter half-way, the image brightens to normal levels and the stabilization (if that's what it is) goes away. I'm not sure what good that would do, if that's image stabilization at work.

Before I run panicking to the camera store, can anyone take a stab at what's going on here?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow