RX 100 VII and low light...or not

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andrew Contributing Member • Posts: 931
RX 100 VII and low light...or not

For years I've used my Pany LX 7 as my go nearly anywhere camera.  It's small, has an adequate zoom and does well in low light.  In January I'll be in a convention center all day and will probably do up to 500 shots for archival use and for possible use for photos that will run with a newspaper column I write every week.  The shots will be of trees, shrubs, other plants and horticultural equipment but all indoors with standard exhibition hall lighting.  The one thing I keep on seeing noted about the the RX 100 VII is that it doesn't do that well  in low light situations.  I don't really consider an exhibition hall to have 'low' lighting but it certainly isn't daytime in the sun.  Won't have time to fiddle with settings as I need to shoot, make a few notes and move on.

Anyone have any thoughts if this camera may not be well suited to the situation?  The LX 7 still works....but at 12 MP not 20 and not the zoom that the Sony has.

Appreciate your input.  No need to remind me how expensive it is.

Thanks

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Sony F505(retired), Sony F707(gave to son), Sony
F717(gave to wife) Sony S85(great little camera that
was stolen), Sony CD 1000 (ancient but a great lens), Sony P93
Sony H9(retired) Panasonic LX3 that became an LX5 that became an LX7 (small
enough to go everywhere), Nikon D5000 that grew into a D7000 (sold), Sony HX1, Pany GH2 (sold), GH3 (sold), GH4 (sold), GM1 (sold, Oly TG-3, DJI Phantom 2 Vision (sold), pair of DJI Phantom P3's, P4's, Mavic Pro and a Pany FZ300, Oly OMD EM1-M2

Andrew's gear list:Andrew's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow