to 4k or not to 4k for still extract.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,634
to 4k or not to 4k for still extract.

This has been on my plate for a while. and over the last week ive shot hours of 4k Dance concert video for the pure reason to extract stills. I sell near 1000 images in my studio of the dancers every year around concert time, and basically none from concert shots taken from full dress rehearsals. Well all i can say is what a blast it was playing around with 4k. i shot olympus em12 4k 230mbps at 1/120 shutter speed to still motion with a bit of motion blur on the feet just to give a realistic effect.. I also shot side by side stills for a comparison, but after a while i simply just gave up as it was a waste of time.

My thoughts. crap lighting is crap lighting period, no amount of pixels, larger sensor,faster glass is going to make up for extreme lighting conditions, veiling glare absolutely destroys dr and shadow detail even shooting with good quality primes. So basically i worked with what i had and that was " first class content" the ability to flick through frame by frame for the perfect or nearest to perfect moves in the dance. I could sit for hours and extract 100s of good quality images of the 250 dancers in the school with good enough detail to print a nice A4 print. Which in fact i have never printed of a concert image over a studio image but thats besides the point. 8 meg images are more than big enough and the way the programs extract stills using part of the adjacent frames reduces noise even at iso6400 to give good results as well. I have already posted 20 images up on the Dance school site and they look great. Just as good IQ wise as previous years but the captures are on another level. Final rap, i wont be shooting stills anytime soon 4k is here to stay, it might be more work in deciding which frame is best but the results are way better for content without missing an instant out of the blue leap ect.

Don

cant post alot for various reasons.

I just used 25mm prime 50 eq f1.8 iso 6400 the lighting was terrible as usual for photography. but hey at least i got some images.

video still.

normal still image

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow