Mail accounts and ports

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,451
Mail accounts and ports

I had some issues with my mail accounts which I corrected. However there are some changes going on without my intervention. It working fine right now but I'm trying to understand it.

SMPT port 587 (TLS) is newer and is suggested to use. Port 465 (SSL) is an older port. I read all about this part so I'm OK with that.

I'm using Mac Mail. I set up the accounts and to automatically manage connections settings.  There is a TLS/SSL checkbox which is selected. When I first set up the the accounts SMTP 587 was automatically selected.

A few days later it changed to port 465. Where is this change occurring? Is it my service provider or Mac mail?

I had some issues with the VPN so I set it to split tunnelling and is is supposed to ignore the Mail app.

Maybe before I got into this port selected was 465 and I didn't know about it. I never really looked at it for 8 years until the last few weeks. As I understand Mac Mail is a little antiquated.

The odd thing is my Macbook Air, 2 iPhones and iPad are currently on 587. When call customer support they all blame the other one. This is very puzzling.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow