Upgrade a6000 to what ???

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nct1596 New Member • Posts: 6
Upgrade a6000 to what ???

I currently have an a6000 that serves me well. Aside from the kit 16-50 lens that I never use, I’ve acquired the Sony/Zeiss 16-70, the Sony 35 1.8, and the Sony 50 1.8. I use the two primes more often than the zooms for their faster apertures.

I use the camera to document general pictures of family/travel and have no intention of doing anything in a professional manner. We have a 1 year old that I photograph most and as he’s getting older and faster moving, my desire (or lust) for a new camera often crosses my mind. The a6000 isn’t a slouch, though I am intrigued by the fancier and faster autofocus of the new models.

I like having the ability of taking photos that are decidedly better than what can be taken from a camera phone. And if I’m going to carry around a dedicated camera, I want it to be worth my while.

I would consider upgrading to an a6400 as the autofocus and ISO performance seems better than what I currently have. But I am unsure if it’s leaps and bounds better. I’d also consider upgrading to an a7iii, but also recognize that outside of the cost of getting all new lenses, there’s the added heft of a full frame setup. However, as I try to photograph a fast moving toddler and need to keep shutter speeds adequate, I can see the advantage of the high ISO capabilities of the a7iii (especially when indoors).  Though I also reason that perhaps going full frame is a bit of overkill.

I like the size of the a6000 and although there are things that I would like it to do that the newer models do, in the end it’s all about the final picture - most of which are shared with family and seen on nothing larger than an iPad and usually aren't printed at all.

Am I going to see a huge improvement in image quality if I upgrade to either?  Should I focus on acquiring more/better lenses and keep the a6000 or upgrade to a newer Sony APS-C setup...or make the jump to full frame?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow