Nikon 16-50/3.5-6.3 on Z50

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,986
Nikon 16-50/3.5-6.3 on Z50

The kit lens for the Z50 is a tiny little thing. It's a 16-50 mm f/3.5 to f/6.3, that collapses into a pancake a bit over an inch long. It's made of plastic and glass, and it's dirt cheap, especially if you buy it with the camera. It's hard to imagine that it's any good at all.

But it is.

It's so good, in fact, that I didn't post this morning's results of my informal test against the excellent Nikon 24-70mm f/4 Z-mount lens because I couldn't believe how good the lens was, and thought I'd screwed up. So I ran another test with a Siemens Star target.

Here's the scene:

The images were exposed at f/4.5 and 1/4 second at ISO 100, except for the 50 mm pair from the 16-50, which was exposed at f/6.3 and 1/4 second, because it doesn't open up to f/4.5 at that focal length.

I developed the images in Lightroom with the following settings:

• Adobe Color Profile
  • Sharpening amount 20, radius 1, detail 0 (this is much less sharpening than Lr's default)
  • White balance to the gray background of the Siemens Star
  • Exposure + 1 stop for the f/6.3 image

Let's look at some really tight crops of the star, at about 400% magnification. First at 24 mm in the center:

16-50

24-70

Look at that! The cheap lens is almost as sharp, and both lenses are laying down a lot more detail than the sensor can deal with.

In the corner:

16-50

24-70

There’s more falloff with the 16-24, and it’s not quite as sharp, but it’s still doing an excellent job.

At 50 mm in the center:

16-50

24-70

The 16-50 doesn’t have as much contrast, and is not quite as sharp. We are being a bit tough on the 24-70 here, since it’s a stop wider.

In the corner:

16-50

24-70

The cheap lens is not as sharp as the 24-70, but it’s not bad. Interestingly, sagittal/meridionol preferential directions are reversed.

Questions, comments welcome.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow