My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

kli wrote:

MAC wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

... when I change the aperture setting on my M50 body, the AD200Pro flash automatically adjusts the power output accordingly to give me accurate TTL exposure off camera. It's so cool I could spit! ...

generally speaking, manual will be a lot better to avoid inconsistencies from exposure using ttl ...

But if you're a Godox user with an XPro transmitter or Flashpoint R2 Pro II transmitter, though, you'll also have a TCM function (TTL-Convert-to-Manual). That lets you lock in the power level TTL set in into M mode, so you have consistent flash power shot-to-shot.

Unfortunately, the Godox X2T transmitter doesn't have this feature, AFAICT.

But TCM does let you mess about with light placement/distance, iso, and aperture settings on the fly while working through your setup, and then lock in the power level in M. It can be much more fluid and convenient than chimp'n'reshoot M-only adjustments and doesn't require an external light meter. It's not as nice as Profoto's letting you do TTL group ratios with the Air triggers so you can set your key and fill with TTL, but it's good for setting the key light.

Take a look at Joe McNally demoing his costs-a-kidney Profoto gear doing TTL group ratios and locking here and switching aperture settings on the fly in a shoot here.

Just saying, TTL lock changes the game a little.

Yes, I saw Youtube videos about the TCM function on the Godox Pro transmitter. But in the end, the hotshoe on the X2T grabbed my attention more for attaching a flash, whereas the Pro transmitter doesn't have a hotshoe. It's only a $10 difference between the 2 transmitter models, but the hotshoe functionality on the X2T swayed me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
kli
kli
MAC
MAC
MAC
kli
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow