Wrong date from Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris J Newman Regular Member • Posts: 126
Wrong date from Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2

Hi,

I have a Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2 which I use on my Nikon D800. I’ve been delighted with it for over 5 years, using it about every other day on average, but on 30 July this year it reported the date as 14-Dec-99, with 141299 in the log filename (presumably 1999). After a couple of weeks, probably when it got past 31 December, it started reporting dates in April 39 (presumably 2039)! There is no option to adjust the date; only the format in which it is displayed. It still records location, altitude and heading as usual. I emailed Solmeta asking if they have an explanation or solution, but got no reply.

I’d like to know whether this is a fault in the software that other users have also experienced, or a sign that my unit is deteriorating and may fail before long. I’d be very sorry to lose the unit. In addition to geotagging my photos, it logs where I have walked, for display on Google Earth, and, more importantly, doubles as a wireless remote shutter release. I’m not aware of any model currently available that includes a remote release. The supposed date is incorporated into the filename of the log of the unit’s movements during the day, as well as being reported in the EXIF data of each photo (and, until I turned the option off, it would set the camera’s clock with great acccuacy, except when it is precisely 1024 weeks out!)

I raised this problem on the Accessories forum, and someone had the knowledge to point out that, at least initially, the GPS system broadcast the date only by weeks denominated from 0 to 1023. There was a roll-over in April 2019, when it switched from week 1023 to week 0, but this didn’t affect my Pro2 at the time. I find it hard to understand how my Solmeta could cope with the jump from 1023 to 0, but then go wrong a dozen or so weeks later. Yet it can hardly be coincidence that 14 December 1999 is exactly 1024 weeks before 30 July 2019!

Unfortunately my post on the Accessories forum didn’t raise any replies from Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2 users. If you have one, I’d be very grateful to know whether yours is reporting correct dates, has jumped eras in the same way as mine, or has reported incorrect dates in a different pattern.

With thanks in advance for any information,

Chris Newman

Chris J Newman's gear list:Chris J Newman's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow