Adjustments that are needed for me moving from crop DSLR to FF Sony Mirrorless

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jake14mw Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Adjustments that are needed for me moving from crop DSLR to FF Sony Mirrorless

Hi all,

I will be receiving my A7iii tomorrow.  I am in the process of selling off my Pentax stuff, the last body I have been using was a K-5iis.  This will be a big change for me.  I do a small amount of paid work for portraits and an occasional casual wedding, but am mostly a hobbiest.

There are a few things that I am anticipating having to adjust in my thought process:

1. A complete upgrade in AF technology.  This has always been Pentax' weak point. I primarily used center point focus/recompose for much of my shooting.  This is the main thing that made me switch.  I am anxious as a portrait shooter to see how well eye AF actually works.  I should be able to focus much more on good composition.  From what I have read, most people suggest using AF-C for the autofocus since the tracking is so good.
  2. Being able to see the actual exposure before the picture is taken.  How well does this work?  I imagine I will be able to keep my eye to the viewfinder much more and not chimp nearly as much.
  3. I should be able to make use of the LCD on the back for actual shooting much more.  On the Pentax the live view focus was pretty bad, and no tilting screen.

How else do you think I will need to change the way I think/shoot?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow